Mom Says Patriot Act Stripped Son of Due ProcessAshton Lundeby is being held under the USA Patriot Act on a criminal complaint that a bomb threat was made from his Oxford home the night of Feb. 15.
This whole situation is crap...
I believe when the Patriot Act was written in 2001, it was with good intentions - not for cases like this where this poor boy wasn't even at home when the threat was made. He was at church with his family - that's a pretty good alibi, but they won't even listen to him! Now, more than two months later and he can't even see his mother and/or lawyer, let alone defend himself against seemingly very false allegations.
"Passed after the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks on the U.S., the Patriot Act allows federal agents to investigate suspected cases of terrorism swiftly to better protect the country. In part, it gives the federal government more latitude to search telephone records, e-mails and other records." --That is putting it quite lightly my friends. The Patriot Act means any federal agent can pretty much do whatever the heck they want, whether it's listening to your private phone conversations, going through your personal records or raiding your house in the middle of the night. And...they can do all of those things whenever the heck they want to without letting you know.
""Never in my worst nightmare did I ever think that it would be my own government that I would have to protect my children from," Lundeby said. [...] "We have no rights under the Patriot Act to even defend them, because the Patriot Act basically supersedes the Constitution," she said." -- I feel so sorry for this poor family. I'm not even a mother yet and I can't even imagine what she is going through!
"In a bi-partisan effort, Rep. Jerrold Nadler, D-N.Y., and Rep. Jeff Flake, R-Ariz., last month introduced in the U.S. House of Representatives a bill that would narrow subpoena power in a provision of the Patriot Act, called the National Security Letters, to curb what some consider to be abuse of power by federal law enforcement officers." -- It's about dang time they are getting the ball rolling to do something about this chaos. I hope it moves quickly...if they're quick enough, they may be able to help the kid before his entire life is completely ruined.
There has to be boundaries people...checks and balances my friends!


No comments:
Post a Comment