Apparently, Rudy Giuliani, former mayor of New York City, was interviewed on 'Good Morning America' this morning. It's one day I wish I would have been watching ABC instead of my usual NBC's 'The Today Show.'
Here is why.
I'm unsure why Giuliani was being interviewed to begin with, and I haven't seen the interview, so I couldn't tell you. However, Giuliani stated "we had no domestic attacks under Bush — we’ve had one under Obama.”
Um, I'm thinking every American who was alive and every American for many generations to come will recall 9/11 - where they were, what they were doing, etc. when it happened. If you don't call 9/11 a 'domestic attack' then what is?! It doesn't take much math (you can use a pen and paper if you'd like) to figure out that we have presidential elections every four years, which means the president who was in place in September 2001 was elected in November 2000 and sworn in in January 2001, and who was that Ladies and Gentlemen? Trivia answer of the day: George W. Bush.
I'm by no mean saying the domestic attack called 9/11 was Bush's fault in any way - I'm not some kind of conspiracy theorist or anything like that, but Giuliani blatantly tried to negate one very true fact in his statement. That fact is: 1) 'We' (America) did, in fact, have a domestic attack while President Bush was in office. There's no way you can turn that around, whether you're democrat, republican, libertarian, socialist, independent or anything else you want to call yourself.
Apparently, the interviewer, George Stephanopoulos (since when is he a morning talk show host?!), did NOT ask a single follow up question once Giuliani said this...Um, I'm not journalist (although, I did get a journalism/public relations degree), but I'd have to say if that didn't warrant a follow up question/statement (or 8), then I don't know what does!
I can say, as a PR person, this will ensue to be a PR nightmare for both Giuliani and Stephanopoulos. Once again, I haven't seen the interview, but a representative for Giuliani stated earlier this afternoon that Giuliani was “clearly talking post-9/11 with regards to Islamic terrorist attacks on our soil.” Um, I'm thinking that it wasn't clear...at all...or else I wouldn't be typing this blog.
All I have to say is 'Deja Vu.'
"The misstatement was seized upon by critics of Mr. Giuliani. Some tied Friday’s remark to a similar one made by the former Bush press secretary Dana Perino last November. “We did not have a terrorist attack on our country during President Bush’s term,” Ms. Perino said on the Fox News Channel."
Maybe the U.S. government came up with a super secret special way to erase your memory and go into complete denial about past events (like 9/11 - quite possibly one of our country's saddest moments in history), and Bush and Perino have experimented with it!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment