Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Pleasant Pregnancy?!

Could it be possible that I am having a pleasant experience in my pregnancy?!  I feel like all I hear from other pregnant women and/or women whom have had kids is COMPLAINING! 

"Oh, the morning sickness is terrible."  
"I felt huge the whole time."  
"I had aches and pains in places I never knew existed."

So on, and so on, and so on...

Now, I'm not what I would call an optimistic person in general - I like to call myself a realist.  My optimistic husband likes to call me a pessimist and/or Worry Worm.  My mother actually has told me on several occasions throughout my adult life that she truly believes I'm not happy unless I'm worrying/stressing about something.  (For the record:  I totally disagree!)

Well, call me crazy - But I'm almost half way through my pregnancy, and I have enjoyed every minute of it!  No, I didn't have morning sickness (Yes, I realize I was very lucky!), but I did have (and continue to have) some  nausea off and on - mainly when I let myself get too hungry.  Yes, I feel huge some days.  Yes, I have momentary freak outs about what's to come in L&D (Labor and Delivery for you non-lingo types!).  Yes, I am scared that an actual human being will be dependent on me for survival!  Yes, I have lots of aches and pains.  Yes, I realize I haven't gotten to the "worse" part (that being the last 4-6 weeks of pregnancy and L&D) yet.   

BUT - I have still loved every minute of it.  In the words of my good friend, Kimberly - I am growing a human being!  Nothing is cooler than that.

I have broken down my argument for why I believe I am having such a pleasant pregnancy:

1)  Because I had some medical issues in the past, we really didn't expect to conceive as quickly as we did, and I have had many friends who have had/are having trouble conceiving - So, I think that may be part of the reason I have had such a good time with this pregnancy...Because I know how blessed we have been that it happened so fast, and really has gone very smoothly (so far) for the most part!

2)  Perhaps it is my hormones...I like to think I haven't had the hormone rages that most women complain about throughout pregnancy.  But, you should probably ask my husband and mother for a more accurate evaluation.  Either way, I have always been very high-stress with a quick temper, but since I have been pregnant - when I feel myself getting stressed out or angry about something - I stop, take a deep breath, and let it go.  I think I mainly do this because I know the baby can detect my emotional state, and if I'm stressed and angry - the baby feels that.  So, I try to stay as calm, cool, and collected as possible at all times!  PREGNANT BUDDHA! (In appearance and spirit!) :)

3)  Maybe it's been so enjoyable because the pregnancy has brought my husband and I even closer together - which I honestly did not think was possible considering we have a very strong, tight relationship as it is.  I think we are bonding even more because we realize in a few short months a baby that is 1/2 him and 1/2 me will be born - and that makes us happy!  I think we are also getting closer because we do realize that in a few short months EVERYTHING will change, and although it will be amazing - our time alone together will be gone forever, so we are savoring every minute of it!

4)  I have NEVER had anyone tell me to gain weight until I got pregnant - that's awesome!

5)  Or maybe it's something as simple as realizing that my world - and my husband's world - doesn't revolve around us anymore...It's about something else now - someone else.  Being pregnant and having a baby is the ultimate showcase of selflessness, and that is something I really admire.

Maybe I'm just totally naive and I really haven't gotten to the "worst part" of pregnancy, and I'm typing this blog post entirely too prematurely.  Or, maybe, pregnancy patterns really are inherited through your maternal side because my mom CLAIMS she always LOVED being pregnant :)

Any or all of these reasons could be true, but the bottom line is my pregnancy really has been pleasant, and I look forward to what is to come! :)

1 comment:

  1. You are very blessed to have such a great pregnancy. It's really hard to make the most out of it even if you are optimistic when every second you feel like throwing up, crying or just plain huge. The second trimester is the best, so you should be feeling like you're on top of the world now! Lucky Lady!

    ReplyDelete