Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Not cool, John Mackey, Not cool at all!

I wouldn't call myself a Whole Foods fanatic - I mean, how could I be when there isn't even a Whole Foods in the entire city I live in?! Don't get me started on that...

However, I'd definitely call myself a faithful Whole Foods customer - after all, Hubby and I do make random trips to Austin just to go to the store...

Why am I loyal Whole Foods customer, you ask? Well, there are many reasons, but mainly because of the foundation that Whole Foods was built on - to provide healthy, largely organic food, provided by local farmers. And, their overall social and environmental consciousness. Yes, it is a bit more expensive than a normal grocery store, but you're paying for a brand and a movement when you purchase items there, and I'd say the majority of its customers are aware of this brand/movement that they're purchasing.

So, why am I ranting and raving about Whole Foods, you ask? Well, because of this little thing Whole Foods CEO, John Mackey, said that caused a big uproar!

Now, I'm not some hippy liberal (well, maybe I am a little bit) who is going to stop shopping there altogether and start picketing in front of the stores just because of what Mackey said. Although, if I had a store in my town, I may consider it - however, at this point, I am far too Whole Foods-deprived to do so...

I do have some points to be made about Mackey's statement and the resulting upheaval:

1) Not cool, John Mackey...not cool at all!
2) Mackey: You are the CEO of Whole Foods, there is no such thing as your "personal opinion." Everything you say and do reflects on your company and your brand...Think before you speak! Isn't that the first lesson they teach you in PR?!
3) Whole Foods PR Department: Poorly-handled...you out of all people should know that Whole Foods customer are fiercely loyal; therefore, you do them wrong, they will not "drop it" until you make it right...
4) Whole Foods customers: I empathize with your anger and feelings of betrayal; however, please don't get a bitter taste in your mouth about the entire company/brand just because of one bad apple!

No comments:

Post a Comment